Military Discharge

I'm currently translating a military discharge paper from Italian to English. The person completed a compulsory year's service and is now completely exempt from any military service for his country. In Italian it is "Congedo Illimitato", do I need to find an equivalent classification, or can I just call it "Military Discharge Certificate", with a subheading "from active obligatory service"?

The translation would be read by an Australian, if that changes anything.


Answered by

I have not been able to confirm your translation choice with a dictionary. However, references available on the Net suggest that your translation is accurate and understandable, and as such will do for Australia, I believe.

1. Discharge Papers (Foglio di Congedo Illimitato)
Source: Italian genealogical records: how to use Italian civil, ecclesiastical & other records in family history research

2. congedo illimitato - certificate of discharge


3. Discharge Records (Foglio di Congedo Illimitato)


4. andare in congedo illimitato - be discharged (army), go back to civvy street (British; army), go on long furlough (army), leave the service (army)


Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Question Form.

Share this page: